New Year, New Theme

Approaching New Year's Eve, I had no specific resolutions in mind. I set a few simple goals for myself: spend more quiet time with God, make more time for friends, learn to be bolder, and live in a way that sets me apart so that others may know that I am a child of God.
This past week I have read other people's resolutions and intentions. I've also done a lot of reflecting on my past year and what I want this year. What I have come to realize is that I don't want to set a goal for my life. My year should not be evaluated solely by my success or failure in achieving said goal. Rather, I would like to define my year with a phrase, a focus, a feeling: love.
As human beings, the thing we crave most is love. I know that I am loved by those whom I love, but I want to work harder at building these relationships and demonstrating my love to others. I want to learn to be content without romantic love, but I also want to work harder at understanding what such love looks like practically and emotionally. Above all, I want to be more aware of God's love for me and allow that to change my life.
Interestingly, my word of the year encompasses most of the resolutions I had been contemplating. The difference is that the word "love" is not a specific goal to be achieved, a finish line that must be crossed by 2019. Rather, it is a mentality that will change my outlook every day, influencing my choices and actions. I want my attitude to be one of selflessness, kindness, patience, joyfulness, and greatfulness. By understanding the love given to me, I hope to share that same kind of love with others. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday Sayings

Rediscovering My Hope

We Must Speak Until Our Voices Are No Longer Needed