Billie Eilish's video reminds women that self-worth is more important than others' opinions of us

Billie Eilish just released her official tour video "NOT MY RESPONSIBILITY" and – wow! – there is a lot to unpack. I don't often discuss this sort of pop culture news, but she has me thinking that maybe I should. This video packed as much punch as any literary prize-winning story, if not more.

In the video, the pop star sheds her baggy attire while she addresses her haters and, more specifically, body-shamers. Billie Eilish is notorious for wearing over-sized clothing that hides her figure. She has said that she does this so that no one can use her size or appearance against her because they can't actually see what her body looks like. But the narration in the video makes it clear that she still experiences judgement all the time, not just for how she looks, but for what she wears and how she acts.

Why?

Because she is in the limelight? Yes, that does amplify the attention she gets, and provide a platform for critics to call her out on a more public scale.

But there is a deeper reason that needs to be acknowledged, because she is not the only one affected in this way.

Bilie Eilish will always face criticism because she is a woman

Some of you reading this right now might think that I'm too conspiratorial in saying this. If that is you, then I need you to understand why I am saying this. 

Women everywhere understand exactly how Billie Eilish feels and what she goes through. No matter what we do, we are wary of the fact that someone may misinterpret our actions, that we will be labelled as one thing or another, especially when it comes to our bodies.

Men have placed expectations on women for centuries; expectations which women have unintentionally internalized and turned upon themselves or others. And every one of those expectations is double-sided.

Billie Eilish even explains how she's seen that in her own life when it comes to body image: "If I wear what is comfortable, I am not a woman. If I shed layers, I'm a slut." No matter what choice she makes, someone will always have something to say.

Women's bodies will always be judged

As a history major, I can tell you that women's bodies have always been objectified in some way.

Has it changed from culture to culture? Of course! Are women the only ones to be objectified? Not at all!

HOWEVER...

Telling women how they should dress or behave has historically been a key part of how the patriarchy has oppressed women. Men dictate the roles that women play in society and the ways that they are or aren't allowed to take up space. Women who were outspoken or independent were branded as witches in the Elizabethan era, and placed in insane asylums for being "hysterical" in the Victorian Era...and that's just in English/European culture!

Worst of all, women are often valued or devalued based on sexuality.

The role of women has traditionally been related to the birthing and rearing of children, but that led to the ideology of women as sexual objects who were meant to provide men with families and pleasure.

Now let me be clear by saying that I am not making blanket statements about every man or person, accusing every individual of placing these labels on women. But I am making a point that I believe Billie Eilish was also raising in her video: that female bodies are still judged based on sexuality.

When she says that she is not a woman if she wears comfortable clothes, she is pointing to the fact that women are expected to be sexual in some way. Being called a slut for taking off the layers is just the other side of the same coin. Suddenly her sexuality becomes somehow dangerous or offensive.

Female sexuality is simultaneously desired and feared, which is why female bodies are always judged  for how they look and behave.

Billie's video suggests that women should not be held responsible for other people's opinions of them

When Buzzfeed shared an article about the release of the short film, I couldn't help but notice some of the reactions in the comments. One in particular stood out: "I'm a bit confused. How would slowly removing clothes stop people from judging her body?"

It doesn't. And that's the point.

When Billie asks, "Is my value based only on your perception? Or is your opinion of me not my responsibility?" what she is saying that her worth should not be – and is not – based on what other people think of her.

"Billie [Eilish]'s message to all of us ... is that our self-worth cannot be determined by others' opinions. After all, it is called self-worth for a reason."

No matter what she does, people will form opinions of her. But if she lets these impressions dictate what she does or how she feels about herself, then she will never be okay with who she is.

Billie's message to all of us (not only women, but especially women) is that our self-worth cannot be determined by others' opinions. After all, it is called self-worth for a reason.

Let's teach women to find their worth in who they were made to be

I've personally had enough of the media, the fashion industry, and Western culture telling women what makes them desirable and therefore valuable.

For one thing, I believe that value comes from so much more than appearance. We have so much to offer the world. A kind heart. A strong spirit. A sharp mind. A bright smile. A listening ear. The list could go on and on.

As a Christian, I believe that we also have value because we are made and loved by God.

Psalm 139:13-14 reads:

"For you created my inmost being;
    you knit me together in my mother’s womb.
I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
    your works are wonderful,
    I know that full well."

God hand-crafted each and every one of us. And he made us all unique.

Why, then, should we seek value outside of ourselves? God does not make mistakes; his works (his creations) are wonderful! We should never have to look to others to prove that our bodies are acceptable, because we know that God sees beauty in each and every one of them.

Ignore the haters – love yourself instead


And we shouldn't believe, even for one second, that our value lies in what others think of us at all. Whether they judge us on our physicality or our personality, other people do not determine our value.

That is the message that I believe Billie Eilish wants to spread with the short film "NOT MY RESPONSIBILITY".

When this brave young woman chose to bear it all in this video, she was saying to the world: "I can't control what you think of me, but I refuse to let it define me." And I think that this is a message that women everywhere need to take to heart.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Frozen

Ursula K. Le Guin: Science Fiction in Discussion with Fantasy